Saturday, December 12, 2015

Book Review: The Witch Of Lime Street by David Jaher

History comes alive in this textured account of the rivalry between Harry Houdini and the so-called Witch of Lime Street, whose iconic lives intersected at a time when science was on the verge of embracing the paranormal. The 1920s are famous as the golden age of jazz and glamour, but it was also an era of fevered yearning for communion with the spirit world, after the loss of tens of millions in the First World War and the Spanish-flu epidemic. A desperate search for reunion with dead loved ones precipitated a tidal wave of self-proclaimed psychics—and, as reputable media sought stories on occult phenomena, mediums became celebrities.
This book started out scattered, which led me to hoping it was just the first chapter that would be this way. I don't often find myself wishing to get through a book, and hoping it gets better. The back and fourth from one character to the next, left me confused and frustrated. The Witch of Lime Street is all over the place, focused and lingered lengthly on seances, which left me hoping it would pick up and get to an interest part of the book. In my opinion, it was long, boring, and I was hoping for more. Onto the history...I really loved this aspect. I love this by gone era, and enjoy reading about it. Harry Houdini was searching for the truth in these so called mediums, leaving me feeling empathy for him. I don't want to discourage anyone from reading this book. I personally, did not care for it. I was given this book by Blogging For Books in return for my honest review and opinion. The book can be purchased here: www.davidjaher.com

No comments:

Post a Comment