Monday, January 18, 2016

For my Nova Jo...

As we walk out of the bathroom, you catch your reflection in the window. You look up at me and say, "Nana, I am bald". Tears instantly fill my eyes, as I hold my breath to steady the quiver in my voice to tell you that you are the most beautiful little girl that I have ever seen. I tuck you into bed, and feel the coldness of your hands and feet, as you wrap up against me for warmth. I fight the urge to break down and cry as I open one of your favorite books to read with you. My heart is breaking, as the cancer and chemotherapy are taking the color from your face, the warmth of your body, and the once beautiful locks of your long, golden blonde hair. I look at you and smile, and wonder if you know that you are my hero. Your spirit is so bright, and so contagious. It makes me see just how strong you really are. You are my heart. You are my soul. You are my granddaughter, and I am your Nana.
Written with so much love, by: Lisa Taylor
 

No comments:

Post a Comment